Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Week 14 Reading Diary A - Peter Brook's Mahabharata

This week I wanted to do something different, so I decided to watch Peter Brook's Mahabharata.
I think this is one of my favorite readings (watchings?) of the semester. It gave a different life to the story of the Mahabharata than what I had pictured before. Although this was a film, it did feel more like a play, as was mentioned in the guide. What was most interesting to me were the casting choices. It was unexpected to see how characters were cast from a wide variety of ethnicities, rather than portraying a traditional Indian cast. To me, this made the myth feel less realistic and more about a tale of humanity on whole than a myth based in history. My only complaint is how long the film is since it's a bit time consuming.
Vyasa and Ganesha write the Mahabharata


No comments:

Post a Comment